Re: / 100% used

Hello Beco,

W dniu 2015-07-05 o 21:19, Beco pisze:
Hi guys,

I need some help regarding this problem.

Yesterday I upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie. Today I got an email saying the user could not create a "tmp" file to do anything.

Just to add to what you've experienced recently:

Why have you performed major upgrade of Operating System on running production server?
Did you perform backup of data before performing upgrades?
Did you try it before on any development machines?

Did you read  Jessie release notes before upgrading and upgrade procedures?
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/index.en.html

Since you teach students, it would be good to teach them "best practices" by running well organised and prepared server...

I checked the filesystem with:

------------
# df -h
/dev/sda1        46G   46G     0 100% /
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           789M   82M  708M  11% /run
tmpfs           2.0G  4.0K  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda3       864G  4.0G  816G   1% /home
tmpfs           395M     0  395M   0% /run/user/1000
tmpfs           395M     0  395M   0% /run/user/1340
tmpfs           395M     0  395M   0% /run/user/1328
tmpfs           395M     0  395M   0% /run/user/1360

I'd re-think the partition layout:
https://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/ia64/apcs03.html.en, second paragraph:

For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk space, it's best to put /usr, /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions separate from the / partition.

Are there any backups / RAID for users' home directories?

Please don't consider it as offensive, I'd like just to let you know that the problems you've encountered could have been much worse

Good luck  ;-)

Cheers

Marek

--