Re: USB keyboard unreliable since dist-upgrade on 1st of June

On 05/07/15 19:50, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
Most certainly the Debian of old, being stable and trustworthy has
been lost due to systemd adoption.  I want old Debian back, not
Devuan, not Gentoo .. bring back the /real/ Debian, if only for server
use which has no need for systemd whatsoever.  Leave the experimenting
to the desktop users whom really want to use it that way.

It is a matter of publicly viewable archived record that of the people who comprised the Technical Committee at the time of the vote on the default init system for Debian jessie, the most visibly pro-systemd person was Russ Allbery (who actually took the trouble to sit down with upstart and systemd).

Russ Allbery is, by profession, a Unix system administrator of many years' experience, and his basis for supporting systemd over both the status quo and the other alternatives presented appears to have been in significant part founded on that professional experience.

As such, I reject the notion that this is a "server vs. desktop" thing. There are desktop users who have never run a server in their life who utterly reject systemd, and server administrators who embrace it wholeheartedly.