Re: NFSv4 first read/write takes 1 minute to start

Hi Mart,

Am 28.06.2015 um 21:40 schrieb Mart van de Wege:
> I run a fileserver and am trying to switch over from NFSv3 to NFSv4 with
> RPC-GSS. My exports work, and my clients nicely authenticate to the
> Kerberos server and the NFS server, I can mount the exported filesystems
> and cd into them.
>
> But as soon as I try to read or write anything on the mounted
> filesystem, I get a timeout of 1 minute. After that, all other reads and
> writes on the mounted filesystem proceed normally.

I cannot help you with a comprehensive explanation, but at least I
discovered similar timeouts while fiddling around with my new
NFSv4+Kerberos setup. The first operation on a fresh mounted NFS share
took ages (one minute is quite possible). I don't remember whether it
timeouted or succeeded in the end.

Now that everything is in place and working as expected, I no longer
discover these timeouts. Every operation (read+write) to the NFS share,
starting with the first one, finishs within milliseconds.

> I tested it with sec=sys, and that shows no difference. Mounting goes
> fine, cd goes fine, first operation hangs.

Do you have your PTR records set correctly? Not sure whether it is
related, but apart from fixing Kerberos principal mapping and ticket
cache handling, the missing PTR record for my Kerberos/NFS server was
one of the last things I fixed.

Cheers,
 jonas