NFSv4 first read/write takes 1 minute to start

Hi,

I run a fileserver and am trying to switch over from NFSv3 to NFSv4 with
RPC-GSS. My exports work, and my clients nicely authenticate to the
Kerberos server and the NFS server, I can mount the exported filesystems
and cd into them.

But as soon as I try to read or write anything on the mounted
filesystem, I get a timeout of 1 minute. After that, all other reads and
writes on the mounted filesystem proceed normally.

I used to get a 'Unable to create client record on stable storage: -110'
error in dmesg, but that went away after I created the missing
'/var/lib/nfs/v4recovery' directory. Otherwise I am not getting any NFS
related errors in the logs, just a horrid timeout on the first
filesystem operation.

I tested it with sec=sys, and that shows no difference. Mounting goes
fine, cd goes fine, first operation hangs.

Anyone have any clue what is going on here?

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.