Re: How do I find what drivers are installed

On 29/06/2015, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 06/29/2015 at 10:54 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> if it is, as, I think, postulated by Sven, the Intel driver that
>> drives the external monitor, then the question is does Debian 6 have
>> a driver for the Intel Haswell integrated graphic controller, that
>> can drive the external monitor?
>
> Going by the PCI ID you posted earlier (from lspci output), and looking
> that ID up in the LKDDB, it appears that the kernel module for the
> graphics component of this chip is i915.ko:
>
> https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DRM_I915.html
>
> On my system (tracking current testing), I have:
>
> $ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name i915.ko
> /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
>
> So: yes, Debian has a driver for this integrated graphics controller.
>

> Did you try the command based on 'lspci -k' which I gave earlier? I
> think we've tracked down the driver you probably need, but I'm fairly
> sure that command would have been an easier way of finding out what
> driver(s) you're actually currently using.

No, I think I had not. I apologise.

"
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# lspci -k | grep VGA -A 2
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0416 (rev 06)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0781
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 0c0c (rev 06)
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~#
"

Does that show the driver(s) - I thought that showed only the hardware
devices identifiers.

"
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# lspci -knnv | grep VGA -A 2
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:0416] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0781]
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~#

"

An interesting observation - in examinng the attached xorg log file,
at about the third screen down, the driver that was installed for the
Intel integrated graphics controller, appears to be the same as for
the Acer 5750G; the driver is compatible with the Sandybridge chipset
applicable to the Acer 5750G, but, apparently does not include
compatibility with the Haswell chipset of the Acer V3-772G.

However, after having written that, I think that the web page at
https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DRM_I915.html
indicates that laptop computers with an Intel i7 CPU, should be
compatible with the i915 chipset (?) or modules(?), and thus, the
existing, installed, driver for the Intel graphics controller, is the
appropriate one for the Intel Haswell graphics controller?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."