Re: System hangs on Debian 7.6 and 7.8 when enabling Cluster on die (COD) with Intel Haswell and Broadwell processors

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 11:06 +0000, Vincent.Du@mic.com.tw wrote:
> > I got an issue – “System hangs on Debian 7.6 and 7.8 when enabling
> > Cluster on die (COD) with Intel Haswell and Broadwell processors”.
> > Does Debian 7.6 support Cluster on Die (COD) feature with Intel
> > processors?
>
> Is it normal for an OS to hang if this feature is turned on with no
> support available? If not, I would suggest filing a bug.

COD requires non-trivial support from the processor itself (i.e. beware of
errata and outdated microcode), the system firmware (i.e. beware of outdated
EFI or just plain buggy EFI), and operating system kernel.

At this point, we don't even have enough data to know *why* it is crashing.
Does it even work on latest Fedora or latest Windows server (with all
relevant vendor drivers installed), so that we can rule out firmware issues?

> At the very least it would be useful to document this in the known
> gotchas.

Not really, since it nicely crashes during boot, thus avoiding data
corruption, data loss, and other such issues.

What is extremely annoying are BIOS/EFI configurations that create subtle
issues instead of outright crashes.

  Henrique Holschuh