Re: Please help with - it seems - no WiFi interface at all

On Sun 28 Jun 2015 at 13:40:36 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Nick Metz <nick.metz@fhe3.com> writes:
>
> > Can you please send the output of lspci and lsmod? So we can see if the
> > hardware is their and driver is loaded.
>
> I read the pc's technical paper and its wireless device should be Intel
> PRO/Wireless 2200BG, whose driver, according to https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi,
> should be in `firmware-ipw2x00' Debian package which I installed via aptitude.
> I also installed firmware-realtek as suggested by Sven.  I also turned on, as
> suggested by Lisi, the small switch on the laptop, with `Wireless' written on
> it.  Now, as suggested by Nick,

[A big snip]

> .  Still it seems to me to be nothing there about WiFi, but maybe I'm wrong...

All the information you have provided (dmesg and lsusb are other
sources) indicates that the kernel has not detected a PCI wireless
device. The OS is not the problem. The BIOS or the hardware might
be.

BTW, 70-persistent-net.rules does not show what hardware is on the
system. However, it does show that at some time in the past wlan0
used a USB wireless device.