Re: Installing 32 bit Debian 8.1 on a virtual machine (via virtualbox)

On Friday 26 June 2015 09:06:40 Brenton Horne wrote:
> I have been trying to install Debian 8.1
[snip]
> one named debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso.

As has been pointed out, these contradict each other.  You want Jessie, the
current Stable.
https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

When you have the correct .iso for Jessie, I should install one GUI initially,
then add the others after installation: especially if things are slow.  Get
it working first, then perfect it.

Anyway, IMHO you would be better setting up several smaller installations in
your VB to look at.  Otherwise you will land up with all the applications
from all the desktops available probably in all the desktops, and you won't
really get a true impression of any of them.  They will all be bloated!

To get a true impression, install and look at one at a time:  you have a VB
after all.  You don't need to allocate 64GB to one machine.  I would have
said that that was plenty for five separate installations.

Lisi