Re: UEFI works with USB but not with HDD

Dan wrote:

>I just bought a desktop (Dell T5810). I tried to install Jessie with
>UEFI. The USB installation (netinst) works perfectly. I installed the
>whole system and I can see it in the UEFI/BIOS menu. Surprisingly when
>I try to boot the system I get "No bootable devices found"
>
>I tried all the options of the BIOS but it does not work. I already
>installed Debian with UEFI in another system and it worked fine. Would
>that mean that I have a buggy BIOS? What surprises me the most is that
>the USB/UEFI works but not the HDD/UEFI.

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon. Lots of UEFI implementations
are really bad so far - testing seems to be essentially "does it work
with Windows?" and nothing more.

As already suggested, try running "efibootmgr -v" on the system and
see what it says. If needs be, use the installer in Rescue mode to get
there. With Jessie, I also added an option in Rescue mode to add a
"removable media" boot entry on your hard disk so that even really
brain-dead UEFI setups should still boot...

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html