Re: Recurring disk activity

Mayuresh wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:27:10PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> >   # hdparm -B255 /dev/sda
>
> I had disabled this when I wrote the OP, but had not set it in
> /etc/hdparm.conf. Today I did that and the Load_Cycle_Count seems steadied
> at 3781, though it is still under observation.

Good deal!

> When I wrote the OP I got an impression that -B255 isn't helping, because
> I wasn't aware of Load_Cycle_Count and I measured the disk activity by the
> following command:
>
> iotop -obqqqq --delay .1
>
> This still continues to show kworker doing some activity:
>
>   103 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.87 % [kworker/1:2]
> What to attribute this disk activity to? I have tried checking using lsof
> whether any files are changing that fast (such as syslog) but that is not
> the case.

That looks like a fairly low level of activity.  It can be hard to
chase down everything that writes to the disk.  This is a topic that
you can read more about in the laptop lists.  For example
"laptop-mode" tries to hold off disk writes so as save battery by
avoiding disk spinups.  Researching documentation there would be
useful.  Here is an old Linux Journal article no it.

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7539

There is a kernel interface to debug blocks written to disk.  Here is
a nice quick summary of the feature.

  http://www.unixdaemon.net/linux/proc-block-dump.html

And more detail here:

  http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/faq

WARNING!  You want to make sure your debug logging doesn't cause more
disk activity which causes more logging which causes more disk
activity and so on in a vicious feedback loop.  The faq article above
describes this in more detail.  But here is a snippet from the
proc-block-dump article to show the capabilities.

  Mar 14 19:16:44 localhost kernel: sshd(2659): dirtied inode 388836 (sshd) on sda1
  Mar 14 19:16:44 localhost kernel: sshd(2659): dirtied inode 533395 (libwrap.so.0) on sda1
  Mar 14 19:17:23 localhost kernel: cat(2672): dirtied inode 888805 (.bash_history) on sda1
  Mar 14 19:17:46 localhost kernel: kjournald(913): WRITE block 14016 on sda1
  Mar 14 19:17:48 localhost kernel: pdflush(104): WRITE block 12487672 on sda1

Note that I haven't used this since those articles were written.  I
will assume that things are still similar now ten years later.  But
it has been ten years.  I expect some things to be different.  But by
investigating those features you should be able to tell exactly what
is hitting your disk.

Bob