Re: Debian 8 codecs e.g.: play mpeg/mp4

On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 17:30 +0100, Edwin Zarthrusz wrote:
> Hello,
> Am trying to sus out how to play mpegs from my digital camera under
> Debian
> 8 Jessie. My friend who is more of a hacker than me said:
>
> .deb of codecs called something like codecs32 or
> codecs64 on
> somewhere like debian-multimedia.
>
> How exactly, in simple and straight-forward steps, do I do this?

Hi,

That's usually not necessary. Installing a video player should give you
the necessary libraries to play most formats. For example:

apt-get install mpv

or

apt-get install vlc

If you are using the GNOME desktop, you might need to install the
gstreamer1.0-plugins-* packages. I don't remember how many of them
comes with the default install.

Hopes this helps,

--
Cheers,