Re: Flash update

It's nearly always fatal to declare one's participation is at an end.

On Thu 25 Jun 2015 at 09:57:12 +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 22:48 +0100, Brian wrote:
> > I can offer you an on-demand service for BBC TV for 10 EURO a month,
> > paid a year in advance. That will nearly cover what I have to pay out
> > use my TV in the UK. The offer is cheap at the price, offers
> > excellent
> > progam quality  and it comes with a money back guarantee if bandwidth
> > is
> > insufficient or connectivity is interrupted.
> >
> > > Try it yourself?
> >
> > Invite me to Sweden and pay for my stay and I'll let you know. :)
> >
> > > Also, some sites sometimes provide HTML5 players for other systems
> > > (like iOS) and you can only use them if you fake your browser
> > > version.
> >
> > "Don't use flash" is not a solution.
> >

> I don't understand you at all. The topic of the thread was to find
> alternatives to Flash.

No it wasn't. It became that, as it always does with flash as a topic.
We don't complain about that - it is one of the charms of -user.

> I tried to give examples and pointers to a few.

Admonitions to discard the use of flash are interesting but ultimately
do not address the desires of people to use their computers easily
with streaming media. Alternatives of variable quality exist; how well
they fit the demands of the 21st century is debatable.

  Salesman: This machine has the latest Debian release on it.

  Customer: Does it have flash installed?

  Salesman: Goodness gracious, Sir. Don't you realise it is a security
	    risk and everyone in debian-user recommends other software?

  Customer: So can I watch catch-up TV without flash?

  Salesman: With great difficulty. But we have a support group.

  Customer: This computer here says "Designed for Windows". How does
	    that deal with flash? Does it allow me to watch a TV
	    programme at the click of a mouse?

> I'm not going to bend over backwards and pay for a subscription just to
> help you find out how to use iplayer without Flash when you could do so
> yourself.

If you read back through this thread you should see I have (or claimed
to have) some competence with using iplayer without flash. The only
bending you have to do is to fit the written word into your framework
of comprehension.

I was anticipating getting some money and a free holiday in Sweden out
of my contribution in this thread. My hopes have been dashed. Spain it
is again! :)