Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On Thursday 25 June 2015 14:45:10 The Wanderer wrote:

> >> Why don't you have the root password? Is this not your system, but
> >> just one you've been given for ordinary use?
> >
> > It is possible, in this Ubuntu-ised world, to install Debian without
> > a root password.
>
> Wouldn't that just mean that root has _no_ password?

Yes.

> Or does it actually set up the system so that root is an account
> configured to not actually log in, at all?

I don't quite know how it works.

> That would be a _crazy_
> design; there might be situations where it could make sense, but they
> would _not_ be for the casual user!

Tell me about it!  Crackers!  IMHO sudo can make sense where a lot of people
need access to certain restricted parts and you wnat to control who has
access to what.  <dons flame-proof suit> I can see only disadvantages in
single user systems.

I know of a case where someone dist-upgraded to the next version *by mistake*.

Lisi