Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 06/25/2015 at 09:22 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Thursday 25 June 2015 13:33:25 The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>> Booting into emergency mode doesn't help me, as I can neither
>>> login without a root password, nor continue to default mode with
>>> Ctrl-D because that just throws me back into emergency mode.
>>
>> Why don't you have the root password? Is this not your system, but
>> just one you've been given for ordinary use?
>
> It is possible, in this Ubuntu-ised world, to install Debian without
> a root password.

Wouldn't that just mean that root has _no_ password?

Or does it actually set up the system so that root is an account
configured to not actually log in, at all? That would be a _crazy_
design; there might be situations where it could make sense, but they
would _not_ be for the casual user!

--
   The Wanderer