Re: KDE in Stretch unusable

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:23:41AM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> I just upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. The dist-upgrade went smoothly until
> I rebooted into the new system then things went wrong.

Note that Stretch is still in early testing. This is a good time for
maintainers to perform major transitions (that is, upload packages which
intentionally break other packages and then co-ordinate with other
maintainers to compile against the new package).

That said, you can isolate this by checking a few things:
 * Do you still have jessie in your sources.list? If you have a mixed
   system, you might be fighting with the dependency resolver.
 * Check https://release.debian.org/transitions/ in case KDE is
   undergoing a transition.

> The first thing I noticed was that it complained when trying to start up
> KDE. It said the kde-plasma-desktop was invalid (or similar) and switched me
> into the default Gnome desktop.
>
> Interestingly, I still had konsole so I used that to try to install
> task-kde-desktop. That failed with dependency errors so I tried lower-level
> kde packages and eventually got only a half-dozen packages that needed
> installing for kde-standard. Once I installed them and kde-standard, I was
> able to install the full task.
>
> Except I couldn't start konsole or icedove when I rebooted and selected kde
> as the desktop. Iceweasel started OK as did gkrellm (two other things on my
> desktop session).
>
> Trying the same tactic as before, I eventually got to trying to install
> libgnutls-deb0-28. When I ask apt-get to install it however, it decides it
> needs to remove pretty much everything kde and libreoffice - 390 packages in
> all.

If you can let us know what apt-get is saying, perhaps someone can spot
a problem. It may be, for example, that you have an obsolete package
installed which is blocking KDE. For example, say you have a package
"Foo" installed (and not marked as auto), which is no longer in Stretch.
You now try to install "Bar", which depends on "libBar" which, in turn
declares that it breaks "Foo". The dependency resolver looks at what
you're asking it: "I want Bar and I want Foo, I don't care about libBar"
(because libBar will be marked as automatically installed due to
dependecies). The resolver can't install both so it errs on the side of
caution and refuses to install Bar (or else, you tell it you DO want Bar
and it tries to uninstall Foo).

In instances like this, aptitude is great for keeping your system clean.
I recommend keeping any lib* packages marked as auto (because, generally
speaking, YOU don't actually want them - the exception is plugins and
things like perl modules which you need for local scripts). Also check
in the "Obsolete and Locally Installed" section, for anything that's
been removed from Debian since the upgrade.