Re: KDE in Stretch unusable

On 24/06/15 07:04 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:23:41AM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
I just upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. The dist-upgrade went smoothly until
I rebooted into the new system then things went wrong.
Note that Stretch is still in early testing. This is a good time for
maintainers to perform major transitions (that is, upload packages which
intentionally break other packages and then co-ordinate with other
maintainers to compile against the new package).

That said, you can isolate this by checking a few things:
  * Do you still have jessie in your sources.list? If you have a mixed
    system, you might be fighting with the dependency resolver.
  * Check https://release.debian.org/transitions/ in case KDE is
    undergoing a transition.
No. I used sed to change jessie to stretch in /etc/apt/sources.list
The first thing I noticed was that it complained when trying to start up
KDE. It said the kde-plasma-desktop was invalid (or similar) and switched me
into the default Gnome desktop.

Interestingly, I still had konsole so I used that to try to install
task-kde-desktop. That failed with dependency errors so I tried lower-level
kde packages and eventually got only a half-dozen packages that needed
installing for kde-standard. Once I installed them and kde-standard, I was
able to install the full task.

Except I couldn't start konsole or icedove when I rebooted and selected kde
as the desktop. Iceweasel started OK as did gkrellm (two other things on my
desktop session).

Trying the same tactic as before, I eventually got to trying to install
libgnutls-deb0-28. When I ask apt-get to install it however, it decides it
needs to remove pretty much everything kde and libreoffice - 390 packages in
all.
If you can let us know what apt-get is saying, perhaps someone can spot
a problem. It may be, for example, that you have an obsolete package
installed which is blocking KDE. For example, say you have a package
"Foo" installed (and not marked as auto), which is no longer in Stretch.
You now try to install "Bar", which depends on "libBar" which, in turn
declares that it breaks "Foo". The dependency resolver looks at what
you're asking it: "I want Bar and I want Foo, I don't care about libBar"
(because libBar will be marked as automatically installed due to
dependecies). The resolver can't install both so it errs on the side of
caution and refuses to install Bar (or else, you tell it you DO want Bar
and it tries to uninstall Foo).

In instances like this, aptitude is great for keeping your system clean.
I recommend keeping any lib* packages marked as auto (because, generally
speaking, YOU don't actually want them - the exception is plugins and
things like perl modules which you need for local scripts). Also check
in the "Obsolete and Locally Installed" section, for anything that's
been removed from Debian since the upgrade.

root@transponder:/home/garydale# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  liblz4-1 libppl12 task-desktop
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
akregator dolphin kaddressbook kde-baseapps kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin kdepim-runtime kdeplasma-addons kmail knotes kopete korganizer kscreensaver libbaloowidgets4 libcalendarsupport4 libcmis-0.5-5 libeventviews4 libincidenceeditorsng4 libkdepim4 libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 libkfilemetadata4 libkolab0 libkolabxml1 libkopete4 libksieveui4 libmailcommon4 libmailimporter4 libmessagecomposer4 libmessagecore4 libmessagelist4 libmessageviewer4 libnepomukcore4 libnoteshared4 libpimcommon4 libreoffice libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-base-drivers libreoffice-calc libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-report-builder-bin libreoffice-sdbc-firebird libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb libreoffice-writer libtemplateparser4 plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-runners-addons plasma-widget-lancelot plasma-widgets-addons
  plasma-widgets-workspace python3-uno task-kde-desktop
libcurl3-gnutls libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libldap-2.4-2 plasma-nm
cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4 gcc-4.4-base libpcre16-3 libpcre3 libpcre3:i386 libpcre3-dev libpcre32-3
  libpcrecpp0
9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 59 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 6,774 kB of archives.
After this operation, 331 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Aptitude offers:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# aptitude full-upgrade
  liblz4-1{a} libopenconnect5{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libppl12{u}
cpp-4.4 gcc-4.4 gcc-4.4-base libcurl3-gnutls libgnutls-deb0-28{b} libgnutls-openssl27 libldap-2.4-2 libpcre16-3 libpcre3 libpcre3:i386 libpcre3-dev libpcre32-3 libpcrecpp0
  plasma-nm
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  network-manager-pptp
14 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9,080 kB of archives. After unpacking 569 kB will be freed.
 libgnutls-deb0-28 : Conflicts: libhogweed2 but 2.7.1-5 is installed.
                     Conflicts: libnettle4 but 2.7.1-5 is installed.
open: 51; closed: 2152; defer: 18; conflict: 25 o

then offers to remove kde and libreoffice.

I previously tried to remove libhogweed2 but that seems to be the key package and removing it again leads to aptitude offering to remove kde and libreoffice.

Any advice on how I should proceed other than abandoning kde?