Re: mpsyt (mps-youtube) can't reach YT (no search hits)

incal wrote:
> incal writes:
> > mpsyt of mps-youtube suddenly stopped working.

Google changed the Youtube API recently.  The change in Youtube API
broke downstream applications that used it such as mpsyt.

You didn't say what version of Debian you are using.

In Sid a newer version packaged for Debian is available earlier this
month.  Here is the ticket tracking the issue.

  http://bugs.debian.org/785704

This version has migrated to Testing.  It won't be available for
Stable however.  Perhaps a backport could be prepared for Stable
Backports but nothing is packaged at this moment.

> >     mpsyt version : 0.01.46
> That version is old. I did
>     $ sudo aptitude install python3-pip
>     $ sudo pip3 install mps-youtube
> tog get version 0.2.5 and then it worked.

That is almost perfect.  But it can be improved.  The issue is that
the packages installed through pip (or cpan) like the above installed
using all powerful root privileges might crawl out if malicious code
is isntalled.  But root is not necessary.  If you add yourself to the
'staff' group then you can more safely install those packages as a
non-root user.  You also want 'adm' as well so as to be able to browse
log files in /var/log/*.log without sudo too.

  $ sudo adduser $USER staff
  $ sudo adduser $USER adm

Then log out and log back in again.  Additional groups can only be
added to your processes at login time.  Therefore you must log out and
log back in again to have them take effect.

  $ sudo aptitude install python3-pip  # Or use apt-get
  $ pip3 install mps-youtube

Because your user will have the 'staff' account it will be able to
write files into the /usr/local tree without requiring the all
powerful root superuser.  This is much safer.  It limits the attacks
that malicious code downloaded from the net and then run can do to
your system.  It will force the restriction that it can only write to
the /usr/local tree.  It will prevent any files installed from being
suid-root or any processes launched from being launched with root
privilege.  It is a safer way to install things using pip (or cpan).

Bob

P.S. I discovered mps-youtube myself recently.  Surfing youtube from
the command line has never been more fun! :-)