Re: mpsyt (mps-youtube) can't reach YT (no search hits)

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> You didn't say what version of Debian you are using.

How do I check this? 'lsb_release -a' says:

    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Release:        8.0
    Codename:       jessie

> That is almost perfect. But it can be improved.
> The issue is that the packages installed through pip
> (or cpan) like the above installed using all
> powerful root privileges might crawl out if
> malicious code is isntalled. But root is not
> necessary. If you add yourself to the 'staff' group
> then you can more safely install those packages as
> a non-root user. You also want 'adm' as well so as
> to be able to browse log files in /var/log/*.log
> without sudo too.

Thanks - I'll keep your instructions until the next
time I have to use pip3 (or cpan). But I'm neither
a Python nor Perl guy (but I don't dislike Perl, for
the record). So I hope to stick with the plain Debian
repos most of the time.

> P.S. I discovered mps-youtube myself recently.
> Surfing youtube from the command line has never been
> more fun! :-)

You better believe it. YT is just a wonderful archive
in terms of data. In terms of the interface it sucks.
Lucky us it isn't the other way around. "Don't hate
the interface, become the interface!"

By the way, in the most recent issue of "Linux
Magazine" there is a review of youtube-dl. The also
mention movgrab, but amazingly the do not mention
mps-youtube. I have no experience of movgrab, but the
praise for youtube-dl -- it got five "stars", the top
score -- is telling as, compared to mps-youtube, it
doesn't come with a lot of steam.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573