Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

On Monday 22 June 2015 09:49:39 Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:
> > If it quacks like a duck, it's a .... duck, plain and simple.
> >
> > I absolutely agree with the post that systemd is a "cancer"
>
> And I think Debian can do fine without people who only contribute
> toxic behaviour. And yes, calling other projects a cancer is just
> that.
>
> Ansgar

I don't know as I'd call it a cancer and have little to judge it by since
I'm still on wheezy. Since the main application I run is based on
wheezy, that will only change when the next big thing is truly "stable".

But from the tone of the messages, I think its clear that it should have
spent another 6 months on the back table in a lab someplace, getting the
kinks worked out so the end result for the unwary user who has not
encountered it before, will not be encountering the setup headaches in
the quantities that are currently generating all the derogatory comments
that it is.

There is a delicate balance between putting it out there to get wider
feedback when its ready for "prime time", and just plain jumping the
gun.  Obviously this balance wasn't considered, it wasn't quite ready
for prime time and this is the end result.  Predictable? Probably by
someone who hasn't yet sampled the koolaid.

Now everyone including me are scared of it.  Can you blame us?  I think
its foolish of the defenders to do so, and that genuine comnplaints
should, since its now out there for everyone to kick its tires that
wants to, be addressed in a timely, speedy manner.  I am not seeing, nor
am I looking for patches yesterday for tomorrows problems.  What I am
seeing is far more bashing of the conmplaining user, and less fixes than
the current situation seems to need.

An old farts 2 cents.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)