Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

On 22/06/15 15:32, Gene Heskett wrote:
But from the tone of the messages, I think its clear that it should have
spent another 6 months on the back table in a lab someplace, getting the
kinks worked out so the end result for the unwary user who has not
encountered it before, will not be encountering the setup headaches in
the quantities that are currently generating all the derogatory comments
that it is.

Give a program as many months "on the back table in a lab someplace" as you like; you still won't work out all the kinks from the perspective of the "unwary user" simply because it's very, very rare for the "lab" to contain any in the first place.

At least some (though by no means all) of the setup headaches people have encountered in the wheezy->jessie transition as a result of systemd can fairly be described as "I have an unusual setup with a lot of locally-managed configuration, but despite that it didn't occur to me that it might be a good idea to read the release notes, and maybe do some investigation on a 'scratch' system, before updating my 'production' system(s) from version 7.x of their OS to version 8.0".