Re: Resizing partitions on a headless server

Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:

> csanyipal@gmail.com a écrit :
>>
>> I want to create one LV for /usr and one LV for /var.
>> But I can't create a LV with:
>> # lvcreate --size 10.10G -n usr bubba
>>  Rounding up size to full physical extent 10.10 GiB
>>  /dev/bubba/usr: not found: device not cleared
>>  Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.
>>  semid 1114120: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d6ff6: incorrect
>>   semaphore state
>>  Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
>>   identified by cookie value 223178742 (0xd4d6ff6) to initialize
>>   waiting for incoming notifications.
>>
>> I don't understand why can't create a new LV with this command abowe?
>
> Never had this error before. From a quick search, it may be related to
> hotplug/udev event processing. In which environment are you running this
> command ? What happens if you add the option --noudevsync ?

# lvcreate --noudevsync --size 10.10G -n var bubba
 Rounding up size to full physical extent 10.10 GiB
 /dev/bubba/var: not found: device not cleared
 Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.

This is a Debian GNU/Linux Jessie on power pc headless box.
Furthermore, I don't think so so udev is properly setup on this system.

I red in /etc/udev/udev.conf the followings:
[quote]
# udevd is started in the initramfs, so when this file is modified the
# initramfs should be rebuilt.
[/quote]

In this file I remove the "#" from the beginning of line:
udev_log="info"

but don't know how to rebuild initramfs?

In /boot I have these files:
8313E21.dtb
System.map-3.2.62-1
bubba.dtb
config-3.2.62-1
uImage

This is a power pc box on which booting process is started with u-boot.

Can I describe this environment better?

>> And don't understand why is successful following command?
>> # lvcreate -vvv --size 10.10G -n usr bubba
>
> -v just increases the verbosity, so it should not have any effect on
> success or failure.
>
>> I search on Internet and found another solution:
>> # lvcreate -Zn --size 10.10G -n usr bubba
>>  Rounding up size to full physical extent 10.10 GiB
>>  WARNING: "bubba/usr" not zeroed
>>  Logical volume "usr" created
>>  semid 1146888: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d9b50: incorrect
>>   semaphore state
>>  Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
>>   identified by cookie value 223189840 (0xd4d9b50) to initialize
>>   waiting for incoming notifications.
>
> That's not a solution, just a workaround to avoid the wiping error.
>
>> Can I use now this newly created LV to make on it an ext4 filesystem
>> despite the fact that it is not zeroed?
>
> Yes, if it is created correctly and active. Check with lvs, lvdisplay.

# lvs
 LV      VG    Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log \
  Cpy%Sync Convert
 storage bubba -wi-a----- 20.10g
 usr     bubba -wi-a----- 10.10g

# lvdisplay
 --- Logical volume ---
 LV Path                /dev/bubba/usr
 LV Name                usr
 VG Name                bubba
 LV UUID                Ee83A0-H6J3-w4Xi-bt1f-3zGN-jVm4-DOUKxq
 LV Write Access        read/write
 LV Creation host, time b2, 2015-06-19 07:26:48 +0200
 LV Status              available
 # open                 0
 LV Size                10.10 GiB
 Current LE             2586