Re: Resizing partitions on a headless server

Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:

> csanyipal@gmail.com a écrit :
>>
>> Finally, I solved the problem by doing the followings:
>> # lvresize --size 455.5G /dev/mapper/bubba-storage
>> # e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/bubba-storage
>
> Glad you were lucky.
>
>> What is my goal?
>>
>> Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/root                  9.2G  8.0G  815M  91% /
>> devtmpfs                   125M     0  125M   0% /dev
>> tmpfs                      125M  4.0K  125M   1% /dev/shm
>> tmpfs                      125M  5.6M  120M   5% /run
>> tmpfs                      5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
>> tmpfs                      125M     0  125M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
>> /dev/mapper/bubba-storage  449G  8.2G  418G   2% /home
>> tmpfs                       25M     0   25M   0% /run/user/1001

>> As one can see, my /dev/root partition is almost full.
>> I want to increase /dev/root partition to be maximum available size and
>> decrease /home partition to only 20 GiB.
>>
>> So can be the /var directory large enough to encompass the web and other
>> contents.
>>
>> What are your advises, what do I do to reach my goal?
>
> Do not resize partitions. This is difficult and risky. Use LVM.
> Reduce the filesystem in the LV and the LV to a adequate size (without
> mistake this time).

I did this step successfully:
root@b2:~# pvdisplay
 --- Physical volume ---
 PV Name               /dev/sda2
 VG Name               bubba
 PV Size               455.43 GiB / not usable 3.65 MiB
 Allocatable           yes
 PE Size               4.00 MiB
 Total PE              116588
 Free PE               111442
 Allocated PE          5146
 PV UUID
 SMvR2K-6Z3c-xCgd-jSR2-kb1A-15a2-3RiS6V

root@b2:~# lvdisplay
 --- Logical volume ---
 LV Path                /dev/bubba/storage
 LV Name                storage
 VG Name                bubba
 LV UUID                91yHxQ-RmOW-OeDv-jaIv-1z1B-KBSk-yCsDC6
 LV Write Access        read/write
 LV Creation host, time ,
 LV Status              available
 # open                 1
 LV Size                20.10 GiB
 Current LE             5146
 Segments               1
 Allocation             inherit
 Read ahead sectors     auto
 - currently set to     256
 Block device           253:0

> Create a new LV of adequate size. DON'T take all the available space in
> the VG. Leave some space for future needs. Increasing a LV and its
> filesystem is easy and can be done online while it's mounted. Reducing
> is risky, as you experienced.

I want to create one LV for /usr and one LV for /var.
But I can't create a LV with:
# lvcreate --size 10.10G -n usr bubba
 Rounding up size to full physical extent 10.10 GiB
 /dev/bubba/usr: not found: device not cleared
 Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.
 semid 1114120: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d6ff6: incorrect
  semaphore state
 Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
  identified by cookie value 223178742 (0xd4d6ff6) to initialize
  waiting for incoming notifications.

I don't understand why can't create a new LV with this command abowe?

And don't understand why is successful following command?
# lvcreate -vvv --size 10.10G -n usr bubba

I search on Internet and found another solution:
# lvcreate -Zn --size 10.10G -n usr bubba
 Rounding up size to full physical extent 10.10 GiB
 WARNING: "bubba/usr" not zeroed
 Logical volume "usr" created
 semid 1146888: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d9b50: incorrect
  semaphore state
 Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore
  identified by cookie value 223189840 (0xd4d9b50) to initialize
  waiting for incoming notifications.

Can I use now this newly created LV to make on it an ext4 filesystem
despite the fact that it is not zeroed?

--
Regards from Pal