Re: Problems with 32 bit Jessie and Mate DE

On 2015-06-19, Nick <nmb@nickbooker.uk> wrote:
> On 17/06/15 17:56, Curt wrote:
>> That's strange; I always thought you had to set the hardware clock
>> (hwclock) for the modified date and time to survive a reboot.
>>

> I always thought the current time on the system clock was saved back to
> the hardware clock again during shutdown too.

Not according to the wiki here:
https://wiki.debian.org/DateTime

 Set the time manually

 When setting the time manually, the time string may be confusing. The command
 date --set ... accepts <snip>.

     date --set 1998-11-02
     date --set 21:08:00

 The above two commands set the system date to second of November, 1998, and
 system time to eight minutes past nine, PM.

 Note, this has no effect on the underlying hardware's hardware clock. When the
 system next boots, it will revert back to the original date and time (relatively speaking).

 Setting the hardware clock

 To write the correct current system time to the hardware clock so the system
 comes up with the correct date and time, correct the system time as above, then
 see command hwclock

Nor the system administration doc here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/ch-sysadmin-time.html

 If you use the date command to change time, it is worth setting also the
 hardware clock to the correct time. Otherwise, the time is wrong after the next
 reboot, since the hardware clock keeps the time when power is turned off. When
 the clock in the operating system shows the correct time, set the hardware
 clock like this:

To hedge my bets, perhaps something has escaped me.