Re: ThinkPad R51 creeping segmentation faults

On 15/06/15 07:52 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Martin Read wrote:
Bob Proulx wrote:
In the old days computers would use ECC ram throughout.
ECC (in the strict sense) has never been ubiquitous.
At one time every computer I interfaced with had ECC.  It was very
popular with me and everyone else I knew. :-)

Parity was quite common in certain timeframes, but parity won't stop your
system crashing if you get bitflips - it'll just make it crash
*immediately*.
Parity would at least provide for better error messages and
diagnosibility.  I just tossed out a bad one year old 4G 204 pin ram
just TODAY that caused really wierd errors on the system.  I pulled it
and ran memtest86 on it in another system and it threw errors on an
overnight run fortunately confirming the problem.

Bob
At one year old, it probably was still under warranty. I've sent back lots of memory for replacement when it failed prematurely.

Memtest86 can pick up a lot of memory errors but I've also seen memory/disk errors occur, where the memory checks out OK even on overnight runs of memtest and the disk checks out fine, but when you use both together, you get weird errors. Klaus Knopper also reported on this a few years back. I suspect its why motherboard manufacturers only certify certain RAM with their boards.