Re: ThinkPad R51 creeping segmentation faults

Martin Read wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >In the old days computers would use ECC ram throughout.
>
> ECC (in the strict sense) has never been ubiquitous.

At one time every computer I interfaced with had ECC.  It was very
popular with me and everyone else I knew. :-)

> Parity was quite common in certain timeframes, but parity won't stop your
> system crashing if you get bitflips - it'll just make it crash
> *immediately*.

Parity would at least provide for better error messages and
diagnosibility.  I just tossed out a bad one year old 4G 204 pin ram
just TODAY that caused really wierd errors on the system.  I pulled it
and ran memtest86 on it in another system and it threw errors on an
overnight run fortunately confirming the problem.

Bob