Re: audacity startup fails stretch amd64

On 06/13/15 10:36, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 17:31 -0700, Russell L. Carter wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to launch audacity on a stretch amd64 system, and
the following happens:

1.  I get a popup with text "Audacity could not find a place to store
      temporary files.  Please enter an appropriate directory in the
      preferences dialog."

Click ok, then:

2.  An error popup appears stating: "AudioIO.cpp(2363): assert "false"
      failed in getPlayDevIndex()."  A backtrace is available but
      doesn't reveal anything obvious to me.

Click continue, then:

3.  An error popup appears stating: "AudioIO.cpp(2416): assert "false"
      failed in getRecordDevIndex()."

Continue then segfaults.

Check

grep -i Temp  ~/.audacity-data/audacity.cfg

And then check the permissions on that directory.

Bingo!  I had changed the uid for my account a while back and
didn't think to have a look at /var/tmp.  Now at least the situation
is documented so that it can be found by google and friends.

Thanks Sven!
Russell