Re: Disk failure, XFS shutting down, trying to recover as much as possible

Always consider using ddrescue [1] instead of dd - especially once you are not sure about the state of the drive.
Tool ddrescue is taking 'dd' image of the drive, but will skip all the areas where the read will return an error. Standard 'dd' will try to continuously re-read that area which could cause more damages.
Have fun! ;-)

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/

--
Peter