Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 11/06/2015, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 June 2015 16:52:50 Bret Busby wrote:
>> ERROR: Unable to find the development tool `cc` in your path; please
>> make sure that you have the package 'gcc' installed.  If gcc is
>> installed on your system, then please check that `cc` is in your PATH.
>
> Have you done this?
>
> Start with:
> # aptitude search gcc
>
> and if necessary
>
> # aptitude install gcc
>
> If you already have gcc, then check your PATH as suggested.
>
> Lisi

Okay.

So, I installed gcc, using apt-get, then tried again.

Then, got the same error regarding make.

So, I installed make, then tried again, and got two further errors.

See log file below.

And, some may wonder why I prefer software (like hardware drivers)
that can be installed using a package manager that takes care of all
such problems...

"
:~# cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu Jun 11 01:48:43 2015
installer version: 346.72

PATH: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 346.72.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
-> The CC version check failed:

The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
match the current compiler (gcc 4.4).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module
loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does
not exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running
kernel.

If you know what you are doing you can either ignore the CC version
check and continue installation, or abort installation, set the CC
environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your
kernel, and restart installation. (Answer: Ignore CC version check)
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running
kernel.  Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files
for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat
Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or
'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know the correct kernel source
files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
'--kernel-source-path' command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
"

I do not know why the hardware manufacturers make getting their
hardware operational, so difficult.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale