Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 08/06/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
>> The telinit s command, whilst taking the computer to single user mode,
>> unfortunately did not turn off the GUI, so I still got the same error.
>
> It would appear that there's some sort of disagreement over
> terminology here. X will not be running while in single user mode (by
> which we mean a single login as root. It'll still be installed and
> configured to run when you're not in single user mode.
>
> But let's just make things simple. Stop worrying about getting into
> single user mode from the machine's normal running configuration.
> Just reboot. Select single user mode from the grub menu. That's the
> answer to your Subject line.
>
> Now run your script, preferably after starting "script" so you capture
> the output. If you have the same problem, viz "You appear to be running
> xserver. Exit xserver and try again", then post that problem under
> an appropriate subject line and you might start to make progress in
> the actual problem area.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Hello.

The only available boot option, apart from the normal boot mode, in
the GRUB menu, for Debian 6, was the recovery mode, so I booted into
that, changed to the appropriate directory, and ran the sh command to
try to install the driver.

The error message referred to the log file;

"
:~# cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Wed Jun 10 22:53:51 2015
installer version: 346.72

PATH: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 346.72.
ERROR: Unable to find the development tool `cc` in your path; please
make sure that you have the package 'gcc' installed.  If gcc is
installed on your system, then please check that `cc` is in your PATH.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
"

I searched the README on the nvidia web site, and could not find any
reference to this problem, so I do not know how to deal with that
problem.

I note that the web page at
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
which refers only to Debian versions 7 and 8, and, not to 6, includes
reference to running the command
$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
which returned

"
:~# lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:0416] (rev 06)
"

and the nvidia-detect package appears to be not available for Debian 6.

>From lshw, is

"
*-pci
          product: Intel Corporation
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 06
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
        *-pci:0
             product: Intel Corporation
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 06
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress normal_decode
bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:24 ioport:4000(size=4096)
memory:d2000000-d2ffffff ioport:a0000000(size=536870912)
           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: nVidia Corporation
                vendor: nVidia Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a1
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
                resources: memory:d2000000-d2ffffff
memory:a0000000-afffffff(prefetchable)
memory:b0000000-b1ffffff(prefetchable) ioport:4000(size=128)
memory:b2000000-b207ffff(prefetchable)
        *-display UNCLAIMED
             product: Intel Corporation
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:d3000000-d33fffff
memory:c0000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:5000(size=64)
"

I think I may have posted the lspci output, and the lshw output, from
Debian 7, on this computer, previously, when I had tried to get the
external monitor working with Debian 7, on this computer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."