Re: adding network printer

On 09/06/15 02:15 PM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 19:21 +0200, notoneofmy wrote:
On 15-06-09 4:05 PM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
Is there anything in the cups logs? I think you can configure cups to
make verbose logs.

What's the make and model of the printer?

Is lpd the only option or can you use ipp?
I will check the logs.

Canon 850mx
Have you used this printer with lpd before?

Everything I find on Google says it only speaks a proprietary protocol
called bjnp.

Which should be covered by the cups-backend-bjnp package.

http://setdosa.blogspot.se/2009/02/setting-up-canon-pixma-mx850-on-ubuntu.html

Good catch. While I've generally had no trouble with Canon printers on Linux, their drivers often come from unusual sources.

I personally fail to see what "competitive advantage" Canon, Lexmark, etc. think they are getting from not opening up their printer protocols. Let the community in on the secret and sell more printers to Linux users.