Re: CUPS default printer setting in Jessie

On 20150608_1040+0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 08:43:28PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > My printer was working a few weeks ago at printing files in Emacs,
> > but now I get an error message that the default printer has not
> > been set.
>
> [...]
>
>  Questions:
>
>  - the error message is coming from Emacs?
>  - what happens if you try to print from the command line?
>    (e.g. lpr <some pdf file> or something like that)

The error message is in the bottom line of the Emacs window where the
message 'Spooling...done' appears when the 'default print' has been
properly set. Instead I see 'no default printer set' (typed from
memory, may be slightly different exact words)

'lpr meds.pdf'
produces a list of my prescription medications, as expected.

As I said, evidence points to a minor problem in my understanding of
'default printer' configuration pertaining to Emacs.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net