CUPS default printer setting in Jessie

My printer was working a few weeks ago at printing files in Emacs,
but now I get an error message that the default printer has not
been set. I don't recall having done any setting of the default
when it was working. I had thought it happened automagically
because of some special code in some package. But it seems not.
I think I should use lpoptions to set the default, but I can't
find any information about what a legitimate text string should
look like. Where can I find some examples of what one actually
types at the command prompt? And some discussion of how it works.
My printer is an HP Laserwriter 5MP, which is a very old model
that has centronix parallel and long distinct AppleTalk connector.

The can't be much wrong except for configuration because I can
print documents from a modern MacBook Pro laptop running Mac OS X.
But that is more of a hope than a rational expection.

Suggestions?
Please help.

--
Paul E Condon