Re: Grub2 Timeout Setting

On 06/07/2015 06:52 PM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Sun, 2015-06-07 at 18:37 +0800, mudongliang wrote:
Today I compile the linux kernel 4.0.0 in LinuxMint!When I update grub
and reboot into the system , I can only get into 4.0.0 kernel!
The content of /etc/default/grub is following:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
It's pretty self-explanatory:

`GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT'
      Wait this many seconds before displaying the menu. If <ESC> is
      pressed during that time, display the menu and wait for input
      according to `GRUB_TIMEOUT'. If a hotkey associated with a menu
      entry is pressed, boot the associated menu entry immediately. If
      the timeout expires before either of these happens, display the
      menu for the number of seconds specified in `GRUB_TIMEOUT' before
      booting the default entry.

      If you set `GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT', you should also set
      `GRUB_TIMEOUT=0' so that the menu is not displayed at all unless
      <ESC> is pressed.

      This option is unset by default, and is deprecated in favour of
      the less confusing `GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown' or
      `GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden'.

`GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET'
      In conjunction with `GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT', set this to `true' to
      suppress the verbose countdown while waiting for a key to be
      pressed before displaying the menu.

      This option is unset by default, and is deprecated in favour of
      the less confusing `GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown'.

Just as what you said , I should see the boot menu by the setting of LinuxMint.
This setting will wait 10 seconds for me to press key to continue!
Why I can not see the boot menu? And when I delete the
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET
, I can see the boot menu!
I want to know the reason! And the process of configuration change?
mudongliang