Re: convert Jessie stable to pure testing

Francis Gerund wrote:
> FWIW, here is the new /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.0.0 _Jessie_ - Official Multi-architecture
> amd64/i386 NETINST #1 20150$
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.0.0 _Jessie_ - Official Multi-architecture
> amd64/i386 NETINST #1 20150$

FWIW I would delete those above lines.  You have installed already.
You will probably never use the cdrom again.  Might as well clean
those lines up by removing them.

> Note that the Debian website did say to include the lines:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

Debian recently started providing security upgrades for Testing.

> I'm surprised that the Debian website was not nore clear on how to change
> from stabel to testing; it's an important procedure - and not exactly
> obscure.

Debian is about getting to a released version.  Testing is not
released.  Stable is released.  Most of the documentation is targeting
the released version.  Therefore not as much documentation about
Testing.  And again when runnning testing you are part of the
development process.  You should take notes and report bugs.

> I wanted to go permanently with testing because I do NOT like reinstalling
> with every new release, and upgrading in place sounds good in theory, but
> never quite works right.  And the packages in stable are just too stale.

Uhm...  You do realize that Testing is doing an upgrade in place every
time you upgrade in Testing?  It is the same thing.  Therefore in my
mind as I read the above it created this conflicting information.  You
basically said you want to upgrade because upgrades don't work.

Basically if you think an upgrade at every release doesn't work (it
works for me, I have upgraded machines since Potato) then you will
hate Testing which is all about upgrades all of the time.

But don't let me talk you out of running Testing.  Take notes, file
bugs, have fun.  But don't complain when something is broken during a
transition.

Bob