Re: convert Jessie stable to pure testing

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I did change from Debian 8 stable to testing, seems to be okay for now.

FWIW, here is the new /etc/apt/sources.list:

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.0.0 _Jessie_ - Official Multi-architecture amd64/i386 NETINST #1 20150$

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.0.0 _Jessie_ - Official Multi-architecture amd64/i386 NETINST #1 20150$

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main

Note that the Debian website did say to include the lines:

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

I'm surprised that the Debian website was not nore clear on how to change from stabel to testing; it's an important procedure - and not exactly obscure.

I wanted to go permanently with testing because I do NOT like reinstalling with every new release, and upgrading in place sounds good in theory, but never quite works right.  And the packages in stable are just too stale.

BTW, Brian - please ignore any duplicate reply you may receive from me.  I can't get Gmail to "reply to all" without apparently sending an additional reply to the last poster in the thread (that's you) also.  I don't know why.

Gmail sucks.  If it wasn't free . . .

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 06 Jun 2015 at 12:56:38 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Francis Gerund wrote:
>
> Yes.  That would be okay.
>
> I suggest using the named release candidate "stretch" rather than
> "testing".  That way when stretch releases and becomes the new Stable
> release at that time your system would not automatically be pulled
> forward.  That gives you time to read the release notes and to react
> to required actions needed before the next upgrade.

"What's in a name?" someone said. But in the 16th century they were
given to using all sorts of queer OSs.

The OP wanted "...to convert it to a pure Debian testing setup, to track
testing indefinitely."

This isn't something to contemplate lightly (the "indefinite" bit). It
is hard to understand what is gained with "testing" as opposed to
following a (stretch + review + testing again). Not unless CUT
(Constantly Usable Testing) has been implemented on a sound basis.

So I would agree - go with stretch.