Re: Latest version of gettext not run

On 2015-06-06, Tomas Nordin <tomasn@kth.se> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 01:21:17AM +0100, Martin Read wrote:
>> On 05/06/15 00:27, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> >I have forced installed latest version of gettext:
>> >
>> >$ dpkg --list gettext
>> >ii  gettext             0.19.3-2~bpo70 i386           GNU ...
>> >
>> >but the previous version is run by calls:
>> >
>> >$ gettext --version
>> >gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.18.1
>> >
>> >What do I do to fix this?
>>
>> What does
>> $ which gettext
>> say?
>>
>> If it doesn't say /usr/bin/gettext, then you have an extra copy of
>> gettext somewhere in your PATH that is not /usr/bin.
>
> It says /usr/bin/gettext, and the other gettext's I find is
> /usr/lib/gettext and /usr/share/gettext but those are directories. I
> wonder where that newly installed executable went.
>
> Should I run some clever apt commands?

You say that you forced an installation of gettext. You can run 'dpkg
--audit' to perform a sanity check on the package database.

The package version suggests that it is from wheezy-backports. Do you
have that repository in your APT sources? If not, you should consider
adding it, and re-installing gettext the recommended way[1].

1: http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

--

Liam