Re: HELP- very slow download speeds

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:41:49 -0700
Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 05/25/2015 11:16 PM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > iperf will use either TCP or UDP. :)
> >
> > Petter
> >
> Well, I'm back
>
> I used iperf3 as follows:
>          iperf3 -c iperf.scottlinux.com
>
> The program just hangs. I also tried it with the -R switch with the same
> result. I then set up one the other computers on my internal net as a
> server (iperf3 -s) and got the following results:

<snip>
> [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
> [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.02 GBytes   878 Mbits/sec 0             sender
> [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.02 GBytes   877 Mbits/sec
> receiver
>
> iperf Done.
>
> My local network seems to be working fine (I tried the -R switch as
> well. Same good results). Needless to say, I'm using a 100 Mbyte/second
> network.

Seems good.

> I am behind a verizon M1424WR rev. I router firewall that has been free
> of any "known" transmission trouble before. Could the firewall be the
> problem or has scottlinux.com shut down their iperf3 server.

Well, it's not shut down, as I just tried it and it works fine here.
Maybe it was down, though, and you should try again?

If it still doesn't work, then check your firewall. It shouldn't give
you any problems, as you are simply trying to establish a connection to
port 5201 on a remote machine, but check. Enable firewall logging, if
possible, and see if anything gets blocked. Verify that you can reach
the webserver running on the same host.

Also try with UDP ("-u -b 0").

Petter

--