Re: Problems with SSD

On 06/03/2015 03:51 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 18:36:43 +0300
Selim T. Erdoğan <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:18:35AM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:

This just in:
<snip>
[12675.977977] ata5: hard resetting link
[12680.979063] ata4: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[12680.979080] ata4: hard resetting link
[12685.976201] ata5: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

You could try forcing the drive to a lower speed to see if taxing the
hardware less will avoid triggering the problem.

Make a file /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf and put the single line
   options libata force=1.5G
in it.  Reboot.  If it works, you can then try with 3.0G instead of
1.5G.

Thanks, I will try that and see if it helps, but it seems a lot like a
hardware problem. This motherboard is getting to be a few years old,
and has been working fine up until now, it just started behaving like
this a few days ago.

I'm investigating new motherboards now, since I heavily suspect that is
going to be what I'll end up having to do.

The drives/controller are not heavily utilized when this happens, the
machine is just churning along with low load. I always have gkrellm
open, and there is never any hint that utilization has anything to do
with this.

You might have your power supply checked as well. With all of those drives, you might be straining for more juice and, as a result, the system appears flakey. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html