Re: Problems with SSD

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 18:36:43 +0300
Selim T. Erdoğan <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:18:35AM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> >
> > This just in:
<snip>
> > [12675.977977] ata5: hard resetting link
> > [12680.979063] ata4: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
> > [12680.979080] ata4: hard resetting link
> > [12685.976201] ata5: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
>
> You could try forcing the drive to a lower speed to see if taxing the
> hardware less will avoid triggering the problem.
>
> Make a file /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf and put the single line
>   options libata force=1.5G
> in it.  Reboot.  If it works, you can then try with 3.0G instead of
> 1.5G.

Thanks, I will try that and see if it helps, but it seems a lot like a
hardware problem. This motherboard is getting to be a few years old,
and has been working fine up until now, it just started behaving like
this a few days ago.

I'm investigating new motherboards now, since I heavily suspect that is
going to be what I'll end up having to do.

The drives/controller are not heavily utilized when this happens, the
machine is just churning along with low load. I always have gkrellm
open, and there is never any hint that utilization has anything to do
with this.

I will try it, though.

Petter

--