Re: Instructions for upgrading U-boot on Marvell OpenRD "Base" computer?

On 06/02/15 13:41, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
Can you tell me what the most recent U-Boot version is that actually
>does support the OpenRD Base?  If there is such a thing, do you have
>a suggested procedure for doing the upgrade?
Get u-boot from unstable, add the target (see the patch I quoted in my
previous email which removed the ultimate target) and build.  Make
sure you have a backup of u-boot and know how to use OpenOCD.
Thanks!
I'll do that. Building U-boot (and other Debian packages) from source is something I have always wanted to learn about. Up to now, I've been a "parametric" user of Debian: I know where all the knobs and dials and switches are and what they all do, but I've never had occasion to build it myself. You've given me a good excuse to learn! (-:

I've found a couple of web pages that describe using OpenOCD. So, while that will also be a learning experience, that part should not be a problem.

The thing that has been keeping me from doing this is that nowhere can I find the exact U-Boot commands to use to burn the new U-boot image to ROM on the Base. As I understand it, the OpenOCD magic leaves you with a running new U-Boot copy in RAM. You then have to use it to burn a copy of the new U-Boot (from a USB stick or via tftp, or whatever) into ROM. That part is what I haven't been able to find specifically for the OpenRD Base. I've found instructions for burning on SheevaPlugs and other Plug devices, and for the CuBox devices, but not for the Base. Can you help there?

For the short term, I'd like to experiment with something that doesn't have the potential problem that it was built by a novice builder (me). Is there one of the 2011 or 2012 pre-built U-boot images I can use for testing?

And finally, you suggest it's a good idea to have a backup of the current U-Boot. How do I do that?

Thank you very much for being so understanding and helpful!

Enjoy!
Rick