Re: Instructions for upgrading U-boot on Marvell OpenRD "Base" computer?

* Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> [2015-06-02 13:05]:
> I gather from what you say about DTB that that transition does not
> depend on U-Boot?  So I should be able to upgrade to and beyond
> Jessie without problems?

That's correct.

The ideal scenario would be for the boot loader (u-boot in this case)
to pass the device tree information to the kernel.  However, since you
cannot upgrade the boot loader on every device, it's possible to
simply append a "Debice Tree Blob" (DTB) to the kernel image.  In
Debian, the flash-kernel tool has been updated to append the DTB when
needed.  (For Debian stretch, we also need to add the DTB in Debian
installer so the installer will boot, but I'll make that change this
week.)

> Can you tell me what the most recent U-Boot version is that actually
> does support the OpenRD Base?  If there is such a thing, do you have
> a suggested procedure for doing the upgrade?

Get u-boot from unstable, add the target (see the patch I quoted in my
previous email which removed the ultimate target) and build.  Make
sure you have a backup of u-boot and know how to use OpenOCD.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/