Re: DHCPv6 and DDNS

On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:21:56 -0600
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Philippe Clérié wrote:
> > So far I have not seen any trace of an attempt by the DHCPv6 server
> > to update the DNS.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestion...
>
> Does the dhcp *server* update dynamic dns?  I always thougth it was
> the client that made the dynamic dns update.  I didn't look and this
> is simply "any suggestion" so take this with that consideration but I
> think you would want the dhcpv6 client to make the dynamic dns update.
> That is probably the difference.  I expect your dhcp clients are doing
> the dynamic dns update for ipv4 but not for ipv6.  I would check the
> client config.

No, the proper way is for the DHCP server to request the update. The
reason for this is that A) the server is controlled by an administrator
and B) there is a single line of communication between the DHCP and DNS
servers.

It is possible for a DHCP client to update the DNS (and Windows seems
to prefer that way), but the DHCP server can set a bit that tells the
client NOT to do that. (One reason to discourage clients changing their
own names is that they might get it wrong and change someone else's
name).