Re: How to boot without GUI

On 27/05/15 18:58, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 10:50:25 +0200
> Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
>
>> L'octidi 8 prairial, an CCXXIII, Petter Adsen a écrit :
>>> Well, then I would expect something like "sudo pkill gdm" might
>>> work.
>>
>> Closing services cleanly would be better advice.
>>
>> "systemctl stop gdm.service" for systemd.
>>
>> "service gdm stop" for SysV.
>
> You are of course absolutely correct, but I've never used Debian 6, so I
> didn't know the correct way to handle services there.
>
> BTW; is there any real difference in this case? Won't both approaches
> simply send a HUP or TERM signal to the PID of gdm?

Doing so via the init system means the PID files get cleaned up and thus
the init scripts *know* gdm has been stopped.

If you go behind its back, the PID file might get left behind, then
you'll have a disagreement between the reality and what the init scripts
understand reality to be.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...