Re: How to boot without GUI

On 27/05/15 18:33, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 27/05/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:15:36 +0800
>> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Or, is a way available, without causing damage, that I can do
>>> something like go to a console (<CTRL><ALT<F1>) and turn off, from
>>> there, the xserver, so as to enable the installation?
>>
>> It depends on what display manager you are using, if it is for
>> example lightdm then simply kill that, and X will shut down.
>>
>> Try "sudo pkill lightdm".
>>
>> Petter
>>

> It is gnome.

Another option, drop to single user mode, hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a
console screen, log in as root, then run `telinit s` and that should get
you back to single user mode.

When you're done, `telinit 3` to get back to multi-user mode.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.