Re: (should be) simple bind problem [possibly solved]

apparmor.

In the recent Debians (Wheezy++, I think), there is a directory /etc/apparmor.d. In there is a file called user.sbin.named. That file does various things to the /var/cache/bind directory. I didn't look at it long enough to figure out just what it does, and I couldn't find apparmor on my system. But I figured it must be somewhere if that directory exists in /etc, so I renamed the ...named filename and rebooted (this was all on ns2, the RaspberryPi).

After reboot, and after waiting a few minutes, there are no new permission error entries in the log. I realize this is kind of far fetched, seeing how there was no apparmor startup in init.d, but this has been making me crazy, and I've tried many things that should have fixed it, so I'd do anything.

I found a note in the Debian wiki saying apparmor is installed by default on Wheezy and that it's started by GRUB. That might explain why I didn't find anything in init.d.

I don't know when Bind slaves try to update the mod times on their zone files, but I'm pretty sure the master sends out refreshes to the slaves when the master restarts, so I restarted the master. Lots of entries in ns2's log about receiving notifies, but no permission errors.

--
Glenn English