Re: yaboot: How to load Debian8 netboot installation images directly from the boot: prompt?

On Tue, 26 May 2015 13:16:04 +0800
Clark Wang <dearvoid@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Herminio Hernandez Jr <
> herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 10:22 +0800, Clark Wang wrote:
> > > I have an `iBook G4` and have `Debian 8 (Jessie)` installed on it.
> > > Yesterday I did something stupid (messed up `yaboot.conf` and ran
> > > `ybin`) and now the system cannot boot up.
> > >
> > > The old Debian 8 was installed on a single partition (`/dev/sda3`,
> > > `ext4`). I ever put the Debian 8 netboot installation images
> > > (downloaded from here) under `/boot/deb/`:
> > >
> > >     /boot/deb/initrd.gz
> > >     /boot/deb/vmlinux
> > >     /boot/deb/yaboot
> > >     /boot/deb/yaboot.conf
> > >
> > > So how can I boot the netboot installation images from the `boot:`
> > > prompt and reinstall Debian 8?
> > >
> > > I tried `boot: hd:3,/boot/deb/vmlinux root=/dev/ram read-only
> > > initrd=/boot/deb/initrd.gz initrd-size=3000000` but it did not
> > > work. (The screenshot taken with my phone.)
> > >

> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > > -clark
> > >
> > You can use the netinst cd as a recovery cd by doing the following.
> >

> I forgot to mention that my iBook's CD drive is broken. :)
>

> > 1. boot into the cd and at boot type recovery
> >

> Or can I boot the netboot installation images (under /boot/deb/) from
> the Open Firmware prompt?

Can the machine boot from a USB flash drive? Or over the network? One
of these approaches might be easier for you.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help you - I know nothing about
yaboot.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"