Re: yaboot: How to load Debian8 netboot installation images directly from the boot: prompt?

On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 10:22 +0800, Clark Wang wrote:
> I have an `iBook G4` and have `Debian 8 (Jessie)` installed on it.
> Yesterday I did something stupid (messed up `yaboot.conf` and ran
> `ybin`) and now the system cannot boot up.
>
> The old Debian 8 was installed on a single partition (`/dev/sda3`,
> `ext4`). I ever put the Debian 8 netboot installation images
> (downloaded from here) under `/boot/deb/`:
>
>     /boot/deb/initrd.gz
>     /boot/deb/vmlinux
>     /boot/deb/yaboot
>     /boot/deb/yaboot.conf
>
> So how can I boot the netboot installation images from the `boot:`
> prompt and reinstall Debian 8?
>
> I tried `boot: hd:3,/boot/deb/vmlinux root=/dev/ram read-only
> initrd=/boot/deb/initrd.gz initrd-size=3000000` but it did not work.
> (The screenshot taken with my phone.)
>

> Thanks.
>

> -clark

You can use the netinst cd as a recovery cd by doing the following.

1. boot into the cd and at boot type recovery
2. the cd will go through the initial install process, when you get to
the part that it is setting up dhcp there should be either a 'cancell'
or 'go back' option on the bottom left. Select it
3. it should take you to a list of options one of which is recovery
mode. select that and from there you should be able to get to a bash
prompt and fix yaboot.