Re: KVM switch: DVI-D, DVI-I or vga?

On 24/05/15 01:56, Petter Adsen wrote:
> AFAIK, a DVI-D connector/cable can be plugged into both DVI-D and
> DVI-I ports, but a DVI-I cable carries extra (analog) signals, so
> it has extra pins that won't fit in a DVI-D port.
>
> A DVI-I KVM will carry both the digital and the analog signal, so
> you can use a DVI-D cable to connect it to a DVI-D screen - it just
> won't carry the analog signal, which you wouldn't need or be able
> to use anyway.

Just relating to this… we've got a situation at the office here were
we have a rack full of servers.  In the beginning it was VGA and PS/2,
for which KVMs are widely available and cheap.

We're now starting to get more and more machines that are
HDMI/DisplayPort machines, with the annoying artefact of not being
compatible with a VGA KVM.  (I've tried various HDMI→VGA and
DisplayPort→VGA adaptors with no luck.)

We've since bought a DVI-I KVM, which works great.  HOWEVER.  The
monitor is DVI-D/VGA.  The KVM does no translation, and so when we
switch over to one of the older VGA servers, we have to swap inputs on
the monitor too.

Unfortunately it seems monitors that have a true DVI-I input have been
discontinued.  We tried one splitter that supposedly brought a DVI-I
cable out to DVI-D and VGA, but that seemingly missed some critical
signals, so we got no picture on one of the ports.

We also tried a DVI-I splitter box, meant to drive two monitors from
the same source.  We found it worked, if you reset the device before
switching from an analogue to a digital source or vice versa.  It
assumed that the nature of the DVI signal (analogue or digital) never
changed.

Searching for these things online is an outright nightmare, because as
far as Google and sellers is concerned, "DVI-D" == "DVI-A" == "DVI-I"
== "DVI".  They do not differentiate.

A box that took DVI-I (in either form) and converted to DVI-D could
work here, I've not seen such a device though.  Heck, converting DVI-D
to VGA would also work.

Has anyone successfully used a KVM with a heterogeneous DVI-D/VGA
environment?
- --
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...