Re: mixer.app ; how do i use it after installing it with aptitude?

On 5/24/2015 1:46 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
I found a .deb package, named 'mixer.app' by accident in aptitude
interactive mode. My current sound mixer is the one installed by xfce,
which uses much to much area on my display screen for my taste. (about
20%)

I think I need to learn how to create a 'launcher', which is something
I have never done. Where can I find instructions for creating a
launcher specific to xfce?

It's been a long time since I messed around with dockapps outside of WindowMaker.

From the package description...

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mixer.app

"Another mixer application designed for WindowMaker

There's nothing in the program that makes it *require* WindowMaker, except maybe the look. Mixer.app is a mixer utility for Linux systems. Requires /dev/mixer to work. Provides three customizable controls on a tiny 64x64 app."

Outside of WindowMaker you "could" run the app alone, 'Mixer.app' is the name of the executable. If you do this
you will end up with a 64x64 mixer window in the upper left of your screen, no option to move it anywhere else. Being  a dockapp it's not going to be very functional either, due to 64x64 space limitation it only has 3 sliders.

There used to be some docks that provided support for dockapps, but I'm not finding that info at the moment.

Looks like dockapps.org goes to a parking page now, so it looks like dockapp support may be shrinking.

It does look like you can still run dockapps in some or all of the *box window managers, but don't know how many
people really do this anymore. You can configure where along the edge of the screen the slit is positioned, then
load the dockapps into the slit.

Did also find something Sawfish specific for handling dockapps...

http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Wmaker-dockapps

Personally I don't understand the screen real estate issue , if I'm running the mixer I want it to be fully functional.
Even if the sliders are split into tabs (input, output, other functions) it's still going to take up some screen real estate.

If I'm not looking for that, then I just want a single slider volume control.

Personally I prefer kmix and create a '.desktop' file for it and place it in ' ~/.config/autostart/' so it will start with any
xdg compliant desktop/window manager. As long as you are running something that provides a compliant tray area you should be able to start it and have it show in the tray, I usually have to fish for the command line option so it doesn't display the mixer window when it starts, if I remember correctly 'kmix --help' will show the options.

Required elements of a '.desktop' file according to....

https://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/anatomy-of-a-desktop-file/

"Required Elements

Type – specifies the type of desktop entry. Currently, there are three valid types: Application, Link and Directory.
Name – The name of the specific application or directory. This determines the actual display name for the menu/desktop entry.
Exec – provides the actual command to execute, with associated arguments (if necessary.)"

If you don't already have other KDE stuff that you run, it will pull in a lot of dependencies so may not be a desirable option for you.

Later, Seeker