Re: Problem with Jessie, Chrome, and Icedove

Hi All:

Sorry I'm late in responding, but I went back to 7.8.

How did you install Jessie?

Brand new install onto formatted drive (not an upgrade). My mail is in the cloud, so I don't worry about blowing away a drive unless my message filters or contact list is not backed up.

Is icedove rebuilding the search database?

No.  This is a brand new install onto an Optiplex GX620, 2 gig RAM, dual core processor, integrated video.  Drive formatted, no legacy data to preserve, etc.  What would be typical for a basic corporate install as a desktop.

That would slow things down until rebuilt. icedove: prefs -> advanced -> Advanced Configuration, Enable Global Search and Indexer .  A normal upgrade from wheezy won't need to rebuild that database. This jessie laptop is a 2 Gb Acer, core 2 duo, Intel 965GM graphics chipset. With chromium, icedove and iceweasel open as I type, cpu usage is 2%.

As I think I wrote earlier, mine is running like 100 percent on one of the two cores, 30 percent on the other, and the core running at saturation changes to the other one about every 3 minutes.

Running 7.8 right now, I have both cores generally under 10 percent.  Momentarily it is higher when Icedove checks for mail, but 10 percent on each is zippy enough to be usable.

Charlie

================

On 05/11/2015 02:31 PM, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
On 05/11/2015 10:07 AM, Charles Chambers wrote:
> I had a bug when I installed Jessie, and I'd like to finish
> confirming it.
>
> This is happening on a Dell Optiplex 620GX with 2 gigs of RAM, and a
> dual core processor on the CPU.  It also has an Intel graphics
> adapter onboard.  It's a pretty common workstation in the corporate
> world, so I'm surprised that it's not working with Jessie.
>
> There are two issues:
>
> 1)  The GPU process in Google Chrome takes up 50 percent plus of the
> CPU utilization  - not memory, CPU utilization - and on both cores.
> Nothing else can run, or one of the CPU cores will saturate and the
> computer slows to a crawl.
>
> 2)  Additionally, when I run icedove (Thunderbird) by itself, I get
> one of the CPU cores at 100 percent utilization, and the second one
> runs between 30 and 50 percent utilization.  I can't run Chrome at
> the same time, and in Wheezy I used to have those two idling in the
> background while I'm working in foreground with whatever.
>
> Using the --disable-GPU command line parameter in Chrome cures the
> problem somewhat with Chrome by itself, but it's not a panacea.
> Short of recompiling icedove, I haven't found anything yet that fixes
> the problem with icedove.
>
> Anyone have any idea what changed from Wheezy to cause this?

How did you install Jessie?  Is icedove rebuilding the search database?
 That would slow things down until rebuilt.
icedove: prefs -> advanced -> Advanced Configuration, Enable Global
Search and Indexer

A normal upgrade from wheezy won't need to rebuild that database.

This jessie laptop is a 2 Gb Acer, core 2 duo, Intel 965GM graphics
chipset.  With chromium, icedove and iceweasel open as I type, cpu usage
is 2%.

No ideas about your chrome.

Good luck!
Ralph